Saturday 18 February 2012

Snow and ice in London

I have a large backlog of posts to make now as I have been out quite a lot over the past week. It was while it was very cold in London, and so there were huge numbers of winter thrushes flying over the London Wetland Centre. Next to the road up to the centre are a number of holly trees which were filled with berries, and these were filled with Redwing which had been pushed over by the cold weather. As I was being dropped off, I managed to persuade my mum to let me take some pictures from the passenger seat window.






On my way to the first hide was a Robin singing, which was not bothered by my presence at all!


Outside the first hide, most of the lagoon was covered in ice, except for a small patch of open water near the hide, and a larger patch at the other end of the lagoon. There wasn't much to photograph from there, except a pair of Mute Swans on the ice.


The only other bird within photographic range was this Coot.


Despite this, I stayed in the hide, but went and sat at one of the windows facing the marsh. After about 15 minutes, I spotted some movement out of the corner of my eye, and realised that it was a Common Snipe feeding in front of the hide!


On my way back to the centre, I spotted this immature Grey Heron sitting on a snow-covered bridge,





and this Robin which was perched in one of the trees next to the path.


I was out at the London Wetland Centre a couple of days ago where I got my best images of a Bittern so far, so they will be appearing on here soon!

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Just signed on to your blog. Stunning pictures and nice to see somebody else enjoying WWT London so much. It is a wonderful place indeed. I have made some entries after visits in my blog: http://gloomy-moose.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete