Tuesday 21 February 2012

More ice at the London Wetland Centre

Some from the the London Wetland Centre. By the way, if anyone reading this wants to see Bitterns within 30 feet and doesn't mind waiting a couple of hours, get to the Headley hide at the London Wetland Centre. Over the past week or so they have been in the reeds very close to the hide, giving fantastic views!

Anyway, on to the images from this visit. Before I got to the first hide, I heard the call of a Redpoll, and looked up to see a small group of them feeding in the trees above me.


When I got into the first hide, I saw that the ice was now covering most of the lagoon, and so there were few birds on it, except this Crow who was calling.



This Coot obviously wasn't about to make a good landing!


Outside this hide is a feeding station, which was packed with small birds due to the cold weather. This image of a Blue Tit was one of my favourites from the session.


From here I went to one of the hides from where I was hoping to get some images of the Bittern. Unfortunately they did not come as close as I would have hoped, but were still nice to watch sunning themselves in the reeds.



I stayed in this hide for a while, and as I left this Robin popped up for the last shot of the day.






That's it for this post, but I am still behind by quite a bit, and some of my best ever images of Bitterns will be making an appearance soon!

Thanks for reading.


11 comments:

  1. Hi Oscar,

    Lovely images, the coot is brilliant - made me smile!! :-)

    Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Quality stuff, Oscar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the least bittern eludes me :-(
    I cannot wait to see yours~

    ReplyDelete
  4. They will be up soon, although it isn't Least Bitterns as there aren't any in the UK. My images are of Great Bitterns

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots. Look forward to your Bittern shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats the nicest and most interestingly composed Redpoll shot I've seen Oscar.

    ReplyDelete