Sunday 28 October 2012

Foxes again!

I was at the Fox site again this afternoon, where it was as confiding as ever. It really is an unforgettable experience having it come so close, and something I won't forget for a while. I assume that, as it is a young one, the time is approaching where it will have to find its own territory, and so my days with it are certainly numbered. Anyway, here are some images.

When I found it in a small copse, it was sitting in the leaves, but was very dark there, too dark for any photographs. I waited a little while, and it came trotting out and sat on a mound of grass in front of a nice dark background. 

After a while, it moved off, only to turn around and come back again after investigating some Wood Pigeons under a large Oak tree. 

It then came into a patch of leaves. This was taken fully zoomed out at 200mm, and I was really struggling to keep it in the frame (this has set me wondering about a new lens, 70-200, or a wide angle maybe?). It grabbed a leaf for a couple of seconds, and I was able to get this shot. Straight after, it leapt up into the air and pounced. I waited eagerly for it to re-emerge with what I hoped might be a small rodent, only to see it come up with a towel!  
 When it moved off again, I got ahead of it, and was able to capture it as it trotted towards me on a path in long grass. 
Thanks for reading

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures Oscar! The one with the leaves is superb. A 70-200 would be very useful for you in your fox project IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul! Yeah that's what I was thinking, but I don't know how much I'd use it outside this. It would be a good portable telephoto, especially with a TC. I don't imagine this fox will be around for a huge amount longer though, as I assume the parents will see it off.

      Delete
  2. I haven't used my 70-200 for yonks, but its one of those lenses that is very versatile. Especially around foxes, badgers and when your being chased by geese at your local WWT ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my concern. Would the use I'd get out of it merit spending £1000? It's a tough one!

      Delete
  3. What a cutie! The second one is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These fox pictures are terrific!

    ReplyDelete