Friday 31 August 2012

Red Deer and the upcoming rut!

Thanks for the comments on my last post!

Earlier in the Summer I went to Richmond Park a couple of times for dawn to see if I could get some pictures of the deer there in the mist. The first trip was a great success, as I timed by visit perfectly, arriving at the park about 30 minutes before dawn, so by the time I reached the middle of the park, the saw was rising in front of me, and there was a thick layer of mist carpeting the ground. The deer were mostly in family groups, with maybe a couple of fawns, and three or four hinds. I wanted to get some backlit images, and so was very pleased when I came up to a little group of trees, underneath which a small group of deer were standing and feeding.

The first shot is one of a female which paused to look up at me.

This second image is of a hind and her fawn; I really like how the mother's breath was backlit.
The third image from the day was taken when a hind nuzzled her fawn.

The second time I went, I got there at the same time, but sunrise was 15 minutes later as it was later in the year, so the sun hadn't risen until I had got to the pen ponds, at which point I got distracted by the Common Terns which I posted about here: http://oscardewhurstphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/common-terns-and-some-news.html

On a related note, the Red Deer rut is coming up, and I'll be practically living at Richmond Park over the next couple of months when the forecast is right, so if anyone is there, do come and say hello!

Thanks for reading

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully executed plan Oscar. I agree - the back lighting, especially on the breath is superb. Tremendously evocative images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first image is particularly stunning. Well done!

    ReplyDelete