Tuesday 5 June 2012

Macro season!

Exams are finished now, so I should have a bit more time to get out with the camera. I'm going to Skomer at the beginning of July, before I'm off to Sicily on holiday a short while after that. I'm particularly looking forward to Skomer as I'm staying overnight, so am hoping for some nice light in the mornings and evenings, and then some rain during the middle of the day; not too much to ask for!

Damselflies are out in force at the moment, and so seeing that the forecast was for cold temperatures and overcast skies, I headed out yesterday to see if I could find some. I was just setting up for one when another one landed in front of me with prey, so I quickly changed subject! One problem I had with photographing these from very close is that because the width of their head is relatively large due to their eyes, it is difficult to get everything in focus, especially when there is a slight breeze blowing!

Here's another which is a bit closer:

The subject is a teneral Blue-tailed Damselfly I believe.

On the way back to the car, I spotted this Soldier Beetle (I think) clambering up a grass stem:
 The forecast doesn't look good for the next few days, and I'm back at school on Monday (although only until June 29!) so it looks like I won't get much more photography done this week.

Thanks for reading

5 comments:

  1. A good set of images, Oscar. I really like the the close up of the damselfly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soldier beetle is magnificent Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. does my heart good to see such classy photography!

    ReplyDelete